Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Intermission: Missed/Overlooked/Outtakes/et al.

Another 100 that just proves I could've kept going and going if I didn't stop myself now. These songs were either considered and ultimately cut, forgotten entirely (as in the case of Rufus Wainwright's cover of "One Man Guy," which would've made the top 200), or gave me trouble deciding for someone who I felt should be on the list (fun fact: Modest Mouse was by far the most difficult band for me to pick individual tracks from). Some I discovered late: put off by "Feel Good Inc." in 2005 I regret that I never checked out Gorillaz' "Dare" until this year's Plastic Beach. I'm over my phobia of James Murphy and laughed for the first time to "Losing My Edge" too late after years of eye-rolling. The Ashlee Simpson tracks would've definitely been in the top half of the list. In five years I expect to wish that I picked more from the xx.

In some cases I cut because I realized I was just listing every song from a great album (Against Me!, DOOM, Spoon), or in a case like the Format I just do not listen to those enough to justify four or five slots on the list. By contrast, with my favorite band of the 2000s, Be Your Own Pet, I could've listed a dozen more songs if I didn't stop myself - during their brief existence they didn't release a single tune I disliked and most of them I loved. What became the deciding factor for what was included was whether or not I treated something as a great standalone single or part of a great album. Still, four or five of these should've been in the upper reaches and I could've easily switched 20 of these in for almost anything in the bottom hundred.

Here's the cutting-room floor, in alphabetical order for the author's sake, with no links:

(#1-10 on Friday, I promise)

Christina Aguilera, Mya, Pink and Lil' Kim - Lady Marmalade
Against Me! - Piss and Vinegar
Against Me! - Stop!
The Apples in Stereo - Go
The Apples in Stereo - Look Away
The Apples in Stereo - She's Telling Lies
Art Brut - Modern Art
Ass Ponys - Love Tractor
Badly Drawn Boy – Disillusion
Badly Drawn Boy - Once Around the Block

Be Your Own Pet - Bitches Leave
Be Your Own Pet - Creepy Crawl
Be Your Own Pet - Damn Damn Leash
Be Your Own Pet - Fire Department
Be Your Own Pet - Love Your Shotgun
Be Your Own Pet - Super Soaked
Be Your Own Pet - You're a Waste
Beck - I Think I'm in Love
Beck - Lost Cause
Frank Black - Strange Goodbye
Blitzen Trapper - Devil-a-Go-Go

Brand New - Jude Law and a Semester Abroad
The Breeders - We're Gonna Rise
Bright Eyes - Four Winds
Bright Eyes - I Must Belong Somewhere
Bright Eyes - Road to Joy
Bright Eyes feat. Emmylou Harris - Landlocked Blues
Chicks on Speed - Give Me Back My Man
The Coathangers - Don't Touch My Shit
The Coathangers - Dreamboat
The Coathangers - Gettin' Mad and Pumpin' Iron

Elvis Costello - Button My Lip
Elvis Costello - Daddy Can I Turn This?
Del the Funky Homosapien feat. Casual - Jaw Gymnastics
DOOM - Batty-Boys
Eminem - Big Weenie
Encre - Trouves-En Un Autre
The Format - If Work Permits
The Format - The First Single
The Format - Oceans

The Format - Time Bomb
Goldfrapp - A&E
Gorillaz - Dare
Hot Hot Heat - Running Out of Time
Hot Hot Heat - You Owe Me an IOU
Jay-Z - Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)
Jay-Z - Lucifer
Jay-Z feat. Eminem - Renegade
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Kelis - Milkshake

LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum
Lil Wayne - La La
Lil Wayne - You Ain't Got Nothin'
Ludacris - Get Back
M.I.A. - Pull Up the People
MC Paul Barman - Cock Mobster
Modest Mouse - Dance Hall
Modest Mouse - Dashboard
Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything

Modest Mouse - Ocean Breathes Salty
Modest Mouse - People as Places as People
Travis Morrison - Snacktime
The Mountain Goats - First Few Desperate Hours
Mr. Lif - Brothaz
Nada Surf - Inside of Love
No Doubt - Underneath It All
Old 97s - Book of Poems
Pernice Brothers - Automaton
Pernice Brothers - Saddest Quo

Pernice Brothers - Subject Drop
Katy Perry - Waking Up in Vegas
Phantom Planet - Raise the Dead
The Polyphonic Spree - Light and Day
Rilo Kiley - Breakin' Up
Rilo Kiley - Paint's Peeling
The Shins - Fighting in a Sack
Silkworm - Slave Wages
Ashlee Simpson - La La
Ashlee Simpson - Little Miss Obsessive

Sonic Youth - Unmade Bed
Regina Spektor - Fidelity
Elliott Smith – Memory Lane
Spoon - I Summon You
Spoon - All the Pretty Girls Go to the City
Spoon - Paper Tiger
Sufjan Stevens - The Dress Looks Nice on You
Sunny Day Real Estate - Killed by an Angel
System of a Down - Old School Hollywood
System of a Down - Streamline

Teenagers - Homecoming
Turbo Fruits - Lotta Lotta Ladies
Usher - Trading Places
Rufus Wainwright - California
Rufus Wainwright - One Man Guy
Wavves - No Hope Kids
A Wilhelm Scream - Me vs. Morrissey in the Pretentiousness Contest (The Ladder Match)
The XX - Basic Space
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cheated Hearts
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Y Control

1 Comments:

Blogger Mini! said...

I have not heard 90 percent of those. I feel like such an old person.

11:46 AM, April 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home