Monday, June 28, 2010

i don't expect people to "follow" this blog or the tiny changes i make to the sidebar over there every time i bump something up on my a-list or insert a link to a new review. but i'm not sure if interested parties are even aware of them. so while i self-promote all over twitter and facebook as is, i'm still compelled to maybe throw you a few "update" posts of my work from the last several months in this space. forgive my ego.

first my voice stuff from 2010 so far:

definitely cooled on this hot chip album by now, though i can see why i loved it in february (untapped valentine's day marketing there on "one life stand"): it's so punchy and in-your-face with its trope-y sentiments that i mistook airtight songwriting as i usually do for irresistible songwriting.

i'm baffled and flattered to have been asked to do another live music guide for the spring arts preview issue. at the last minute i chose the xx over gogol bordello (who i'd still love to interview, though i wish i liked trans-continental hustle more) for the feature part of it. romy madley croft had a lot of quiet personality over the phone that maybe didn't translate so well in quotes, though i'm really proud of the kicker. i think i'm starting to get good at those. and i'm overjoyed that i got her on tape wishing my katie a happy birthday. katie loves the xx.

i love the new against me! album so much that i used some outrageous hype in my review - thankfully one of my LAS writers, cory tendering, emailed me incredulously (and deservingly) with a list of bands who sound like them. my point of course was that no one in 2010 sounds like generic-guitar-radio-whatever and does it well, but it got away from me a tad. i'm happy enough with the weezer analogy and i probably won't get to use "aborted fetuses" in a review again anytime soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sam C. Mac said...

Just so you know, someone's following along. And that someone is glad to see that someone else likes the Kelis album as much as he does (re: sidebar updates). That someone also should probably check out this new Against Me! album, since you seem to love it so.

2:31 PM, June 28, 2010  
Blogger Obe said...

I like Katie, because she loves the xx.

8:00 AM, October 12, 2010  
Anonymous armani jeans homme said...

vous fashion.thank pour le partage

1:04 AM, November 28, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home