Sunday, April 20, 2008

an exercise in conventional crit wisdom

What a dumb article:

-The Modern Lovers, Ready to Die, Marquee Moon, Blank Generation...right, guys. Because follow-ups were sparse or nonexistent. I mean, where's Nevermind the Bollocks while you're at it?

-Is This It and Get Rich or Die Tryin' are by overrated (or weighted) artists whose three albums apiece were never as far apart as people thought, including the troublesome third.

-College Dropout? I personally buy that Late Registration is its Sandanista!, but many don't.

-Diary? I'm as big a Sunny Day Real Estate fan as there ever was, and this pick is hardly accepted wisdom, besides being wrong (How It Feels To Be Something On for the tuneful win).

-Refreshing lack of Reasonable Doubt and Paid in Full.

-...but this Illmatic bullshit has to end. I feel an urge coming on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Ready to Die is the most bizarre one there. I mean, what the fuck guys? It wasn't like Life After Death was some incredible drop off.

Still, I'm hyped that they put Taking Back Sunday there. I mean, I don't have a problem with their albums #2 and 3, but... it's critical approval of Taking Back Sunday! I can barely believe my eyes.

Which Nas would you argue for? Are you on some Lupe It Was Written shit? Or could it be that you're anti-Illmatic?

5:31 AM, April 21, 2008  
Blogger kiss out the jams said...

I'm not even "anti" Illmatic, but it's by far the biggest killjoy of all the Great Rap Records of the time. The Chronic and Doggystyle I'd probably put over it because fun beats technique, and we both know the reservations I have about those guys too.

I don't know which Nas album I'd pick! Ironically, he doesn't seem like a one-statement guy to me...he's shifted dramatically over the years. All of his albums have filler except Illmatic, but nothing on Illmatic moves me, shakes me or tickles me like, I don't know, "Made You Look," "These Are Our Heroes," "Bridging the Gap" or "Rewind." I know this much: he's one of the only rappers of his day to get better and better as time goes on. It's such a proto-puritannical answer, but The Lost Tapes is probably my favorite Nas album front to back.

This will be the first sentence of my OST: "Nas is the best conscious rapper that never was and worst thug rapper that ever was."

6:53 AM, April 21, 2008  
Blogger kiss out the jams said...

Also,

FACT: I performed a rap about Romeo & Juliet for a high school English class to the "Made You Look" instrumental.

6:54 AM, April 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home