Sunday, June 08, 2008

all right, i'll play

From the honorable Lord Sotosyn:

"If you're getting this meme, it's because you're uniquely qualified to answer this request:

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're not any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they're listening to."

7 songs:

Aerosmith - "Love in an Elevator"

I wouldn't mind a bit if this summer became known as the summer I rediscovered my love for Aerosmith.

Momus - "A Complete History of Sexual Jealousy"

I'd never heard Momus before, so Theon hooked me up, and I think he's kind of the midpoint between Stephin Merritt and Kevin Barnes, a/k/a the crass, graceless Stephin Merritt. His egomania is hard to stomach, but also kind of really funny.

Lil' Wayne - "Snitch"

Now that I've finally accepted Lil' Wayne's place at the top of the rap heap the way pretty much all Republicans agree Iraq was a mistake after the fact, why not investigate the legitimate suddenness of his rise to genius? Tha Carter came out only a year before he exploded with Dedication 2/Carter II/Drought 3 as a bona fide master, and so it happens, it has plenty of not-too-shabby moments itself, even if Wayne was still finding his footing on the punchlines. "Snitch" is my favorite, with its truly insidious hook and, what do you know, he was doing weird shit like playing guitar in his videos all the way back in '04!

Weezer - "Dreamin'"

The new Weezer album is big, bold, cheesy and great. How anyone could hear this gorgeous bit of candy corn and tell me Rivers Cuomo's melodic sensibilities have been derailed is beyond me. Sure, he's coming off a slump of one and a half shitty albums, but having loosened up the reins on his band for the first time ever, he defeats the need to rely on old gimmicks by admitting there's life after cryogenically frozen teen-emo anthems. Like thawed old man emo anthems.

Islands - "Creeper"

It's too bad me and Jen didn't stay together long enough for her to enjoy my belated approval of the formerly odious Nick Thorburn/Diamonds. I will not, however, be studying the complete works of Th' Corn Gangg. Beats the new Wolf Parade.

Fripp & Eno - "Swastika Girls"

I've been getting my ambien on lately and I may be more convinced than ever that Fourth World: Possible Musics could be the deepest non-jazz album ever recorded, this starryeyed, Steve Reich-reminiscent repetition liftoff from 1973's No Pussyfooting sometimes convinces me there's a Fifth World of inarticulate beauty to encircle.

Katy Perry - "I Kissed a Girl"

I don't want to give too much away yet because I plan on writing more than one tome on the teenpop breakthrough of the year, but suffice it to say that here's where I'm starting to believe that the Britney-Avril axis may yet see light in the next liberal presidential era. Perry shifts accordingly from shame-shaded vaguenesses to outright jokes and come-ons. Confused, who?

Souls of Mischief - "Let 'em Know"

I was going to put Big Boi/Andre/Raekwon's old-school miracle "Royal Flush" but I've already overlapped too much with my new Muxtape, so here's another straight-up gem. Bass, drum and rhymes from the era of what-else-do-we-need.

I tag:
http://narrowcast.blogspot.com
http://fractional.blogspot.com
http://tiffanyten.wordpress.com
http://pleasurepie.blogspot.com
http://gigibytes.blogspot.com
http://yeweiblog.blogspot.com
http://screwrock.blogspot.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

Haha dude that Wayne YouTube is just a fanmade video full of clips from '06-'07 videos, the guitar stuff is from "Leather So Soft" from last year. Maybe I'll try and follow up on this meme when I start posting again, but I'm trying to not blog for as long as possible right now.

10:07 PM, June 08, 2008  
Blogger kiss out the jams said...

Your news disappoints me, all of it

10:10 PM, June 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home