Friday, March 21, 2008

Yeah, the tedious half of Hercules & Love Affair is beginning to bug me. Vampire Weekend and Hot Chip, skepticized (word?) by myself and consensus respectively, remain solvent as ever.

Here's my 2008 goody bag so far:

Be Your Own Pet - Get Awkward (import version, please)
Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
Dizzee Rascal - Maths & English (why not?)
R.E.M. - Accelerate (back in the saddle again)
Vampire Weekend (natch)
The Breeders - Mountain Battles
Akrobatik - Absolute Value
Kylie Minogue - X
Erykah Badu - New Amerykah: 4th World War
The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
Lil' Wayne - The Leak (if "Lollipop" is any indication, I'll stick with these I believe)
Hercules & Love Affair
The-Dream - Love/Hate
Why? - Alopecia
Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster (thank you, Maytharz)

relative disappointments in order from mildest on down:

The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride: diminishing returns, but more on that when my review of Tuesday's Webster Hall gig goes up on LAS.

Mike Doughty - Golden Delicious: Justin and Al are right, this is a little better than that first knee-jerk had me think. A little better.

Del the Funky Homosapien - Eleventh Hour: Sad to say, believe the hype. One of my favorite rappers finally succumbs the margins.

We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery: I'm pretty unaccustomed to agreeing with Ian Cohen, so I won't quite. This is a few points north of a 5.3, but rarely as high as "After Hours" or "Impatience" throughout. With Love and Squalor's "filler" improved with time. I don't suspect that will be the case here. And the Hot Hot Heat analogy only works if you skip right from Make Up the Breakdown to Happiness Ltd. Classic chicken/egg scenario: did the drummer leave because the new songs weren't all that? Or did his departure shock out the other dudes' songwriting?

4 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

Why is everyone hating on Mike Doughty's new album? Its sweet, and you don't have to think about it too much

12:53 PM, March 21, 2008  
Blogger kiss out the jams said...

It certainly has its moments! "Like a Luminous Girl" is one of my favorite songs of the year so far, and "Wednesday" and "I Got the Drop on You" I like a lot. The real in-your-face poppy ones at the beginning I'm mixed about; they're catchy, but something about the gloss doesn't suit him very naturally.

1:00 PM, March 21, 2008  
Blogger Ian said...

.....Los Campesinos?

10:08 PM, March 21, 2008  
Blogger kiss out the jams said...

Ah fuck me. Campesinos should be in there. Let me do a proper edit.

10:48 PM, March 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home